Kingston International 2013 Backgammon Tournament launches today
Under the patronage of Mayor Angela Brown Burke, the Kingston International 2013 Backgammon Tournament kicks off with a press launch today at the Spanish Court Hotel at 5:00 pm.
With a stellar line-up of competitors, the tournament will be held at the same venue on Saturday. This year’s event will also feature a special women’s tournament for the first time.
Sterling Asset Management and Coldwell Banker, Jamaica Realty are premier sponsors, with support from Caribbean Producers of Jamaica, Wata, Haagen Daz and Panmedia.
Last year’s winner Alastair McBeath defends his title against such national players as Michael Hirst, William Mahfood, Lennie Chen, Bruce Levy, Roy De Cambre, Ruddy Armstrong, Warren Burrowes, and Eddie Azan.
Marion Ross, Sterling’s business development officer says the company is pleased to be associated with an event that is now a permanent fixture on the city calendar. President of Coldwell Banker Andrew Issa says the Kingston International 2013 Backgammon Tournament at Spanish Court is the start of the backgammon season, with tournaments scheduled for November at Strawberry Hill Hotel and Spa, and at Golden Eye in February 2014.
Backgammon is a regular feature at Kingston’s nightspots like CRU, Spanish Court’s Pool Bar and the Grog Shoppe. Several expatriate tournament level players are expected to compete this year.