EPL: Chelsea search for back-to-back wins against Man City at Stamford Bridge
Fresh off the back of their 4-1 battering of previously unbeaten Tottenham on Monday, Chelsea takes aim at defending champions Manchester City on Sunday, as they look for another upset in the space of a week. Then later on Sunday, Italian giants Lazio and Roma square off in another mouth-watering Serie A derby della Capitale.
Event # 1 – EPL – Chelsea vs Manchester City – 11:30 AM
The stage is set for a blockbuster clash at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, as Chelsea looks to make it back-to-back wins in the English Premier League (EPL) for the first time this season when they host Manchester City. After a somewhat shaky start to the new EPLcampaign, after spending over 300 million pounds in the summer transfer window, Chelsea appears to be rounding into form as they have won two of their last three matches, beating Blackburn in EFL Cup action and a convincing 1-4 win over Tottenham. However, Chelsea’s form at home leaves a lot to be desired as they have won just once, with two draws and three losses in their last six home matches. Worryingly, Chelsea’s last home game ended in an embarrassing 2-0 defeat to Brentford and with the Erling Haaland-led Man City next up, the Blues, Chelsea, could be in for a very difficult encounter at Stamford Bridge.
Defending EPL champions Manchester City returned to their customary top of the league standing after crushing Bournemouth 6-1 last weekend. And it was one of City’s new signing, Jeremy Doku, who stole the show, with the Belgian winger having a hand in five of City’s six goals, scoring once and laying out four assists. Manchester City will fancy their chances against Chelsea as they have won their last six meetings with the Blues with four of those wins coming in the Premier League. With that said, City had lost back-to-back matches against Wolves and Arsenal, showing that they do have chinks in their armour. However, like true champions, they bounced back in style, brushing away Brighton and dismantling rivals Manchester United 3-0 at Old Trafford, as they look to become the first ever men’s team to win the EPL four years in a row.
• Chelsea – Chelsea have lost their last two Premier League home games against Man City, only against Blackburn (1993-94 to 1995-96) and Arsenal (2020-21 to 2022-23) have they lost three matches in a row at Stamford Bridge.
• Man City – Manchester City did the League double over Chelsea last season, only once have they won three in a row against Chelsea in the league (December 2009 to September 2010).
• Both sides – Manchester City have won their last six games against Chelsea, while Chelsea have failed to score in three of their last four home league games.
The betting Tip. Man City win.
Event # 2 ITA – Lazio vs Roma – 12:00 PM
The standout fixture in the Italian Serie A this weekend will see Lazio locking horns with Roma in the big Derby della Capitale for bragging right as to who is the best side in the city. Lazio have been struggling in the league so far this season and enter this match off the back of a 1-0 loss to Bologna last weekend, but they bounced back in Champions League action in mid-week by beating Dutch side Feyenoord 1-0 at home. Whilst Lazio have struggled for consistency this season, at home they have been on fire going unbeaten in their last six matches while winning their last four in a row.
Roma, on the other hand, enter this match high on confidence having come from behind to defeat Lecce in their last league match, meaning that they have now won four of their last five Serie A matches, a run that has seen them jump to seventh in the table, thus setting up an exciting derby on Sunday. With that said, both teams are separated by just one point in the table, as if this game needed any extra spice or importance, and the winner would move into the top five in the league standing. Of concern for Roma is the fact that they have faced two title contenders so far this season and, on each occasion, they have been beaten. Firstly, AC Milan beat them 2-1 in September and, more recently, AC Milan’s city rivals Inter Milan beat them 1-0 at home. Indeed, Roma have been disappointing against Serie A’s big boys in recent times, evidence of this is that their record in the Rome derby is very poor as they have won just three of the last 10 Rome derbies with Lazio, with each of those wins coming when they play at home.
• Lazio – Lazio have won their last two games against Roma by 1-0 scorelines and have won their last four home matches in Serie A.
• Roma – Roma’s last away win against Lazio was in 2016, and they haven’t won any of their last seven away matches against Lazio.
• Both sides – The last time both these teams met; Lazio won 1-0 at home. There hasn’t been a draw in any of the last six meetings between both sides, with Lazio winning four games to Roma’s two.
The betting Tip. Lazio win.