Pork-Free Festive Goodness
As the holiday season approaches, many families gather around the table to enjoy a traditional meal centred on a succulent ham. While glazed ham remains a classic favourite, it’s important to remember that not everyone can, or wants to, consume pork. For those seeking delightful alternatives, The Best Dressed Chicken Ham and Hamilton’s Smokehouse Chicken Ham offer the same savoury goodness of traditional ham without pork.
The Best Dressed Chicken Ham: A Flavourful Delight
The Best Dressed Chicken Ham is renowned for its exceptional taste and texture, thanks in part to the honey that is used in the smoking process. Honey adds a sweet and savoury flavour to the ham, making it a delicious and versatile addition to any celebration. This versatile ham provides the perfect canvas for your culinary creativity, allowing you to infuse your holiday meal with your favourite herbs and spices. Whether you prefer a mild, savoury flavour or a bolder, more pronounced taste, The Best Dressed Chicken Ham can accommodate your preferences.
Hamilton’s Smokehouse Chicken Ham: A Smoky Indulgence
Hamilton’s Smokehouse takes pride in its artisanal approach to smoking meats, and its Chicken Ham is no exception. The slow smoking process imparts a depth of flavour that elevates the poultry to a level of sophistication typically reserved for pork. The holidays are a time for family, friends, and togetherness. At Hamilton’s Smokehouse, we believe that everyone should be able to enjoy a delicious and festive meal, regardless of their dietary restrictions. That’s why we’re proud to offer a poultry alternative to traditional pork ham that is sure to please even the most discerning palates.
The Best Dressed Chicken Ham and Hamilton’s Smokehouse Chicken Hams pair well with traditional condiments like guava and sorrel chutney. With their exceptional flavour, convenience, and commitment to quality, these poultry hams ensure that every holiday gathering is memorable and has something for everyone to enjoy.
Brown Sugar Glazed Hamilton’s Smokehouse Chicken Ham
1 Hamilton’s Smokehouse Chicken Ham
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1. Preheat your oven to 300°F and position a rack in the lower third. Remove any plastic packaging or netting from the ham and let it rest at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
2. Line a baking tray or dish with several sheets of aluminium foil or parchment paper.
3. Place the ham in the baking tray and pour 1/3 cup of water into the base of the pan. Cover the ham with two pieces of foil or parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes per pound.
4. Heat the butter in a small pot or saucepan over medium heat until golden brown. Add in the brown sugar, honey, mustard, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir everything together until the brown sugar has dissolved completely, which should take about 2 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to low and add the garlic. Let it cook until fragrant and the glaze begins to simmer, which should take another minute or two. Then, set it aside and let it cool to lukewarm. The glaze should be the consistency of room-temperature honey.
6. After 30 minutes of baking, carefully remove the ham from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 400°F. Discard the foil or parchment paper and pour 1/3 of the glaze all over the ham. Use a brush to cover the ham evenly between the cuts. Return it to the oven and bake it uncovered for 15 minutes.
7. After 15 minutes, remove the ham from the oven and brush it with another third of the glaze and some pan juices. Repeat this process after another 15 minutes of baking until a dark golden-brown crust has formed. This should take about 30 minutes total. For added depth of flavour, mix some of the ham pan juices with the glaze in the pot, which will help keep it runny enough for brushing. If your crust is still pink after the suggested baking time, turn on your broiler (or oven grill) and allow it to boil for 2-5 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn from the sugar.
8. Let the ham rest for 10-20 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
Win! Win! Win!
The festive countdown has begun and The Best Dressed Chicken is giving away TWO chicken hams from The Best Dressed Chicken and Hamilton’s Smokehouse to TWO Thursday Food readers.
Here’s how you can claim yours:
Read the article carefully and answer this question:
What is the main ingredient in the Best Dressed Chicken Ham process that contributes to its distinctive sweet and savoury flavour profile?
Attach the correct answer to the Thursday Food page; place in an envelope with your name, address and telephone contact; drop off at the reception desk of the Jamaica Observer 40-421/2 Beechwood Avenue. Kingston 5, no later than 12:00 noon, Friday, December 8, 2023.