Palace says Kate hospitalized for abdominal surgery
LONDON (AP) — The Princess of Wales has been hospitalised after undergoing planned abdominal surgery and will remain at the private London Clinic for up to two weeks, Kensington Palace said Wednesday.
Moments after news of Kate’s hospitalisation was released, Buckingham Palace revealed that King Charles III would undergo a “corrective procedure” next week for an enlarged prostate. The palace said that the king’s condition was benign.
The palace said that the 75-year-old monarch has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate “in common with thousands of men each year.”
Though it is unusual for members of the royal family to offer much detail on their health, the publicity about Charles’ revelation is certain to encourage other men who may be experiencing symptoms to get checked in line with public health advice.
A series of events and meetings on the monarch’s schedule will now be postponed, and the announcement can also be seen as offering the explanation for the timing of the announcement on Charles. Foreign dignitaries and members of the Cabinet had been due to travel to Dumfries House in Scotland later this week.
The palace didn’t offer further details on the princess of Wales’ hospitalisation, but confirmed that her condition was noncancerous. Though she has generally experienced good health, Kate was previously hospitalised while pregnant after suffering from severe morning sickness.
The medical issues come after a turbulent few years for the royal family, with the Platinum Jubilee in 2022, the death of Queen Elizabeth II a few months later and the coronation of Charles in 2023.
The princess, the former Kate Middleton, is expected to return to public duties after Easter. The 42-year-old future queen was admitted to The London Clinic on Tuesday.
“The Princess of Wales appreciates the interest this statement will generate,” Kensington Palace said. “She hopes that the public will understand her desire to maintain as much normality for her children as possible; and her wish that her personal medical information remains private.”
The palace said that Kate, the wife of Prince William, wished to apologise for postponing her upcoming engagements.