‘Kingsmen’ signal return of CPL cricket to Jamaica
US-based businessman Sarwar to take over team
With a Jamaican franchise set to return to the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) following a two-year absence, as confirmed by the Jamaica Observer on Monday, Pakistan-born businessman Fawad Sarwar’s has had his bid accepted to become the new owner.
On Monday, CPL announced that they reached an agreement for the prestigious T20 tournament to return to Jamaica this year following, “productive and collaborative discussions with the Government of Jamaica through the Ministry of Sport and the Ministry of Tourism”.
The Jamaica Tallawahs, the 2013, 2016 and 2022 champions, were disbanded in 2023 following owner Kris Persaud’s decision to sell the rights back to the CPL and start the Falcons franchise in Antigua and Barbuda.
While no details have been given on the new ownership, the Jamaica Observer understands that Sarwar, who heads the US-based FKS Group and Kingsmen Sports and Enterprise, will operate the Jamaican franchise.
Sarwar, who has been building his portfolio in the sport, recently acquiring a franchise in the Pakistan Super League ahead of the 2026 season and currently owns the Chicago Kingsmen in the USA Minor League.
CPL couldn’t be reached for comment but it’s understood an official announcement will be made in the coming weeks regarding Sarwar’s takeover.
As previously reported by the Observer, the Jamaican franchise received heavy interest over the past 12 months including from the GMR Group, who co-owns the Delhi Capitals in the Indian Premier League (IPL). It’s understood that they were in advanced discussions but were unable to finalise the move.
The Observer also understands that the Tallawahs’ brand may not return with the team likely to be called “Jamaica Kingsmen”, mirroring Sarwar’s ownership group. The team’s roster will be confirmed at the draft where a number of Jamaican players, who have played for other franchises over the last two years, are set to make a return.
The takeover means Sabina Park in Kingston will host CPL games for the first time since 2019 with previous ownership opting to forego home games due to the high cost and lack of Government support.
CPL Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Pete Russell said, “We are absolutely thrilled to be bringing the CPL back to Jamaica in 2026. Jamaica has a rich cricketing heritage and an unmistakable energy that makes it one of the most special destinations in the region. The return of a Jamaican franchise and matches at Sabina Park is something fans have been calling for, and we’re delighted to be working closely with the Government of Jamaica to make this happen.”
The move has also gotten the thumbs up from Cricket West Indies (CWI) President Dr Kishore Shallow, who believes Jamaica is important in the sport’s development in the region.
“Everyone at Cricket West Indies is delighted to see CPL cricket returning to Jamaica. The island holds a special place in Caribbean cricket, having produced some of the finest players in our history and generations of passionate supporters who continue to inspire the game,” he said.
“The return of a franchise to Sabina Park, one of the region’s most iconic venues, is an important moment not only for the tournament but for cricket across the Caribbean, and we look forward to seeing the new team entertain fans and strengthen the bond between the players and the people of Jamaica.”
Sports Minister Olivia Grange and Tourism Minister also hailed CPL’s return, citing its many benefits to the island.
The tournament is set to run from early August to September 20.