Trinidad schoolboy shot dead by bullet meant for father – police
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – Trinidad and Tobago police said that a 16-year-old boy was shot and killed by a bullet that was intended for his father, which ricocheted and struck him during a gun attack outside their home in La Horquetta on Monday night.
Police said that Ezekiel Moore, a pupil of Malabar Secondary School, was liming with his father at their home when the older man received a phone call and stepped outside while still on the phone. Moments later, two gunmen were reportedly seen on the pavement outside the residence.
Moore’s father reportedly attempted to run back indoors, but the men opened fire in his direction. During the barrage, one of the bullets reportedly ricocheted and struck the teenager, fatally wounding him. The shooting sent residents scrambling for cover.
The father was also hit during the attack and was taken to hospital where he was treated and later discharged.
Moore’s death has taken the country’s murder toll for the year so far to 46, compared to 44 for the same period last year.