Holness to accept substantial salary increase
KINGSTON, Jamaica — Prime Minister Andrew Holness has announced that he will accept the substantial salary increase implemented under the 2023 compensation review of the public sector that will see his annual pay more than triple to nearly $30 million.
In a statement on Friday Holness’ office said after careful review and internal consultations, it was agreed that the prime minister should conform to the established emoluments and remuneration for the office.
It means that Holness’ $9.16 million salary will move to $28.5 million.
The prime minister’s salary, had he accepted the increase, would have risen in increments across a three-year period ending at $28.5 million in 2024.
The change is to take effect on the prime minister’s salary as of September 2025, and adjustments are also to follow for former prime ministers and their surviving spouses.
In announcing the change, the statement referenced Holness’ comments in 2023 when he turned down the increase– “another prime minister in the future or a new mandate may give an opportunity to reconsider the prime minister’s salary.”
The decision was taken last year after the new administration was in place; however, its implementation was delayed because of Hurricane Melissa, the release stated.
Parliament has been advised to effect this change.
The huge salary increases – in some cases, by more than 200 per cent – for politicians were met with widespread backlash after they were announced in Parliament in 2023 by then Finance Minister Dr Nigel Clarke.
Following public outcry, Holness announced that he was giving up his salary increase while Opposition Leader Mark Golding said he would refuse up to 80 per cent of his 240 per cent pay rise that would have seen his salary jump to more than $25 million annually.