Coconut milk is a must-have for many Caribbean households and is most commonly used in traditional dishes such as rice and peas, stew peas, as well as our favourite soups and baked goods. Packed with nutrients and a great source for healthy fats and energy, coconut milk also adds that rich and unique flavour to any meal at any time of the day.
The Delect Brand, owned and distributed by Derrimon Trading Company Ltd in collaboration with Chef Lisa Brady-Gabay of Select Deli in Select Grocers, Manor Park and the newly opened May Pen location, explores the versatility of Delect Coconut Milk with these three-easy-to make recipes — Delectable Grilled Salmon in Spicy Coconut Sauce, Coconut Cream Pie and a Vegan Potato Pudding.
Three dishes guaranteed to elevate your palate, using Delect's creamy, rich coconut milk packed with sweet flavour.
Delect Grilled Salmon in Spicy Coconut Sauce
4 slices of salmon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp honey
¼ tsp chopped Scotch bonnet pepper
Combine ingredients and marinate for 15-20 minutes. Grill salmon for 2-3 minutes on each side.
For coconut sauce:
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs of thyme
2 thin slices of Scotch bonnet pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium sweet pepper, sliced
2 tsp butter
4 pimento seeds
2 plummy tomatoes, chopped
1 can Delect Coconut Milk
½ cup escallion, chopped
½ tsp garam masala
¼ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
Sauté all ingredients except coconut milk in melted butter for five minutes. Add coconut milk cream, bring to a boil for five minutes until thickened and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Add salmon and remove from flame.
egan Potato Pudding
2 lb sweet potato, grated
½ lb coco, grated
½ cup Delect Flour
2 ½ cups Delect Brown Sugar
2 tsp salt
1 lbs mixed spice
1 tsp nutmeg, grated
4 cups water
3 packs Delect 50g Coconut Milk Powder
1 tin 400ml Delect Coconut Milk
2 tsp dark vanilla
1 8”-baking tin
Grease 8” pan and set aside. In a basin of a large mixing bowl, mix together the four cups of water and three packs of Delect coconut milk powder. Mix in the 400ml tin Delect Coconut Milk, the flour, brown sugar, salt, mix spice and vanilla.
Add grated sweet potato and coconut mix in until all ingredients are incorporated. Pour mixture in baking tin. Let it sit for 30 mins.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour 30 mins. Or until the middle is fully baked.
Coconut Cream Pie
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup vegetable shortening
¼ cup butter
½ tsp salt
6 tsp cool water
2 cups Delect Coconut Milk
4 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup sugar
2 tsp water
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ cup cornstarch
Blend flour, salt, shortening, butter until it resembles crumbs.
Add water and mix into a dough ball, rest for 20 minutes. Then roll out the dough and place into a pie pan.
Bake at 360 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Combine Delect Coconut Milk, vanilla, sugar, salt, water, nutmeg and cornstarch. Place over a medium flame stirring with wire whisk as it begins to thicken and add egg yolks one at a time while whisking.
Remove from flame, blend in butter, pour into pie crust, allow it to cool, and put in the refrigerator. Top with whipped cream and toasted shredded coconut.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.