Belize to ban charter flights from Haiti

BELMOPAN, Belize (CMC) – Belize says it will not allow charter flights from Haiti to land in the country, warning that it is also prepared to reverse provisions of allowing Haitians to come to the country without a visa.

Foreign Minister Eamon Courtenay said that the decision follows reports that “corrupt and abusive mafia …using chartered flights out of Haiti to smuggle Haitians”.

In recent times there have been several requests for chartered flights carrying Haitian visitors to arrive in Belize. However, the authorities in Belize said that those aircrafts will not be allowed to touch down at the Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport (PGIA) because many of those on board are arriving in the country with one-way tickets.

The ministry said, in addition to this, Haitians do not have hotel arrangements and end up being smuggled out of the country en route to the United States.

“We have taken a decision this week and I informed Cabinet yesterday that we have requests over the next six weeks for a number of flights to come as charter (from) Haiti [to] Belize,” Courtenay said.

“In collaboration with (the Department of) Civil Aviation, we are not going to allow them to land, and if we have to reverse the provision of Haitians coming into Belize without a visa, we are going to do so. Why? Because these people are abused by smugglers, they are trafficked by smugglers and we will not allow it to happen through Belize as long as we can stop it,” the Foreign Affairs Minister added.

Meanwhile, Courtenay said the repatriation of Cuban nationals who have entered the country illegally, poses an immigration and foreign affairs challenge for government officials.

The authorities said that the Cubans cannot be deported through another country and, since Cuba is an island nation, arrangements have to be made for them to be returned directly.

Earlier this week, the High Court dismissed a case brought on behalf of seven Cuban nationals whose fundamental rights were reportedly violated while in detention and ordered that the authorities implement the removal order as soon as it is practicable.

The group of seven adults arrived in Belize with two children on February 6, claiming to be seeking asylum. The children had been placed in the care of the Department of Human Services since the adults were detained.

Justice Lisa Shoman found that the allegations made on behalf of the seven Cubans had no legal basis and that there is a need to ensure that the removal order for the Cubans be effected as soon as is practical by the state.

The Court also ruled that the Cuban national, whose two children are in the custody of the Human Services Department, be allowed to have daily video calls and weekly visits with them until they are removed from Belize.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at https://bit.ly/epaper-login

HOUSE RULES

  1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
  2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
  3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
  4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
  5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.
  6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.
  7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy