KINGSTON, Jamaica – Hydel High’s Nastassia Fletcher will lead the 24 qualifiers into the semi-final round of the Class 3 Girls 400m at the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Athletics Championships at the National Stadium in Kingston.
Fletcher won heat two in 56.29 seconds, the fastest qualifying time of the day. She finished ahead of St Jago’s Brianna Redwood (58.89).
Breana Brown of Excelsior High, who is the favourite to win the gold medal in the event, cruised into the next round after winning heat one in 56.84 seconds. She was followed by Lacovia High’s Tiffany Watson in 58.43 seconds.
Muschett High’s Shanoya Douglas was also impressive in qualifying after crossing the line in 56.90 seconds to win heat five. Taking the second automatic spot was Maddison Campbell of Ferncourt High in 57.75 seconds.
All 24 competitors are scheduled to face the starter in the semi-finals on Wednesday, March 29 at 9:45 am.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.