The organisation, American Friends of Jamaica (AFJ) has donated over US$1.75 million ($262 million) to various programmes in Jamaica. The donation was announced at the AFJ's virtual annual Grants Awards ceremony last Tuesday.
In a statement, the AFJ said that it focused “much of its efforts over the past year to responding forcefully to the COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to continuing its work with donor advised, discretionary, and scholarship funds. Grants for the entire 2020-2021 grant period were up, over 70 per cent over the previous year, for a total of US$1.75 million”.
Organisations which will benefit from the grant are, Bull Savannah Primary, Cornwall Regional Hospital, Creative Language-Based Learning, Gordon “Butch” Stewart Tourism & Hospitality Scholarship, Hope Zoo Kingston, Jamaica Conservation Partners, Jamaica Environmental Trust (JET), St Mary's Roman Catholic School, among others.
Expressing her gratitude for the assistance the organisation has received from donors, President of the AFJ Wendy Hart said, “In a year of immense challenges across the globe, we are extremely grateful to our donors, supporters and partners for stepping forward and increasing their generosity to those in need.”
The AFJ is a non-profit organisation with the goal of supporting charitable organisations and social initiatives working to improve the lives of Jamaicans.
Last March, the AFJ donated medical protective gear to the health ministry in the fight against the novel coronavirus pandemic, totalling $13.5 million.
— Candice Haughton
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.