THE students and staff at the Hatfield Early Childhood Institution in Westmoreland were in for a treat recently when team members from the GraceKennedy Group arrived at the school bearing loads of gifts.
Principal of the early childhood institution, Morfia Patten welcomed the team from Grace Foods and Services as well as Grace and Staff Foundation, and expressed her gratitude for the donation of food items.
Patten said the items will go a long way in providing nutritious meals for the students and staff members at the school. In addition to the donation of food items the team spent the day interacting with the students and having play time. Grace Foods also provided a delicious meal for them.
"It was a very good day; the children enjoyed the interaction and the company. The team from Grace was very friendly and supportive, and we truly appreciate the donation. Not only will it go a long way in providing meals for the students, but the limited funds we have can go towards other needs," said Patten.
She shared that many times students come to school without meals, which hinders them from being fully active and present in the moment.
"We often have to find meals for students, and this boost from Grace Foods will certainly help our students to have a nutritious meal and be more focused in the classroom," added Patten.
The donation is part of the group's continuous #WeCare corporate social responsibility (CSR) thrust, focused on supporting the communities in which it serves, and giving back to schools at the early childhood level as well as vulnerable groups in society.
"This year the Grace Foods team is focused especially on giving back to basic schools across the island — providing food items to boost the schools' nutrition programmes, and support[ing] the nutritional needs of the children and administrators," said Angella Wander, consumer services manager at Grace Foods.
Several basic schools have already benefited since the start of the year, with the group kicking off its first donation to early childhood institutions on Valentine's Day — February 14 — which marked the company's 101st birthday.
In total, Grace Foods intends to make donations to 11 schools throughout the year as part of the CSR initiative for the company's 101st anniversary.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.