Case against accused MoBay sex offender delayed
A trial date could not be set for accused Montego Bay paedophile, Dwayne Savage earlier this week because the case file was incomplete.
As a result, the 21 year-old man had his $150,000 bail extended.
When the matter was brought before the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate’s Court Monday, clerk-of-court Sandy Wong-Small informed judge Valerie Stephens that both the medical and the investigating officer’s statement were still outstanding from the file.
The matter was subsequently set for next Thursday, May 9 but judge Stephens made it clear that she expected progress to be made by then.
“I can understand the medical certificate (not being on the file) but there’s no excuse for the statement. I want the statement here by next Thursday,” she said.
Savage is accused of raping a 12 year-old girl. The girl was reportedly on her way from a fair at the Flankers Primary and Junior High School at about 6:00 pm on March 27 when a car occupied by Savage pulled up alongside her. The little girl, who knew Savage, got into the vehicle which took them first to Ironshore and then to Savage’s home in Flankers.
It is there that he is alleged to have sexually assaulted her.
When she returned home on March 29, she told her mother what had happened to her. A report was made to the police and Savage was arrested for the alleged offence.
As a condition of his bail, Savage has temporarily moved out of his home in Flankers and is required to report to the Freeport police station every Monday, Wednesday and Friday between the hours of 6:00 am and 6:00 pm.
The 12 year-old girl, in the interim, has joined the Victim Support programme.