Ohran Cato, category manager - wines, CPJ, and award-winning caterer Débè-Ann Lange-Chen, on Sunday, June 5 hosted a Message in a Bottle brunch and wine pairing on Lange-Chen’s porch in Godfrey Lands, Mandeville. The brunch was also supported by Sagicor Group Jamaica, and full COVID-19 protocols were observed.
The event that usually attracts 65 guests was reduced to 32 and in addition to tickets only being sold to vaccinated guests, a station was set up with a nurse to conduct on-the-spot COVID rapid testing. The hosts pulled out all the stops to ensure guests felt safe to enjoy the event. As patrons awaited test results, they enjoyed Sorrel Sangria and assorted appetisers. Happily, everyone tested negative and were able to convene on porch for the main event.
Let the pairings begin
The first course was a Broccoli Croquette with a Fat Blue cheese sauce presented in a cast iron pan. Crispy and hot this unusual salad starter was paired with the 1924 Barrel Aged Chardonnay whose fruity and sweet notes were the perfect foil for the sharpness of the fat blue cheese sauce.
The novel seafood course of smoked salmon flatbread pizza, red onions, yellow and green sweet peppers, black olives and smoked salmon grated mozzarella and fresh mozzarella balls was well-received along with the crisp, clean Gnarly Head Chardonnay that was poured.
The coq au vin that followed (bird was used and heavy cream added) was paired with the Noble Vines Red Blend. A happier union you could not find. It may sound strange bird with red wine and a red wine blend.. too much wine? Never! Is that like too much money?
Lange-Chen again broke from tradition offering dark chocolate bark as the palate cleanser.
The main, Boeuf en Croûte (Beef Wellington) with Three Finger Jack Cabernet Sauvignon — beef tenderloin marinated in red wine and sherry with herbs, wrapped in foie gras and short crust pastry and baked to a golden brown. The combination of crust pâté and tenderloin with the Cab Sav was sheer bliss.
The beef brought out the depth and body of the wine, with each sip encouraging further bites.
Apple Brickle served with Mionetto Prosecco brought the affair to a bubbly close. The cream cheese and toffee paired nicely with the tart apple notes.
Live entertainment was provided by Rasa Katei. Each guest received a wine glass courtesy of Sagicor as a parting gift.
From Ohran Cato, category manager –Wines @ CPJ:
The Delicato Family of Wines is new to the CPJ portfolio and so it was fitting to feature a few of their revered brands along with a prosecco that we have all grown to love.
• 1924 Barrel Aged Chardonnay — Scotch barrel aging layers this full-bodied wine with aromas including toffee, baked apple pie and sweet tobacco
• Gnarly Head Chardonnay — Bright citrus aromas of honey dew melon and hints of toasty oak
• Noble Vines Red Blend — Fruit forward wine aromas of raspberry, black berry along with hints of mocha and vanilla
• Three Finger Jack Cabernet Sauvignon — a balance full bodied wine with rich dark berry fruit, spice, and lots of influence from the French and American barrel aging.
• Mionetto Prosecco — a dry well structure prosecco that stands out with its luminous straw yellow hue with aromas of golden apples and white peach.
**The brunch pours are available at your nearest CPJ outlet