The staging of the three-year-old and upwards Open Allowance/Graded Stakes call for the Menudo Trophy is listed as the main attraction on the 10-race card tomorrow, Saturday, September 24, 2022. The race honours Menudo, rated as one of the best long-distance runners to leave his hoof prints in the sand at Caymanas Park.
Menudo, trained in his racing career by Richard Azan holds the distinction of winning the prestigious Superstakes (10 furlongs) on three occasions. Little wonder then that the Menduo Trophy will be contested over 10 furlongs.
A field of six runners has been nominated to run in this year's renewal of the Menudo Trophy, which carries a total purse of $1.5 million.
The analysis by the Supreme Racing Guide of these six runners is provided below for readers.
1. EAGLE ONE (USA): (5-y-o b g by Astrology - Frisky Cheerleader) - Failed on two occasions at the Overnight Allowance when all the conditions for success suited him. Eagle One steps up to compete and should not trouble the main principals. He can be seen as a filler for his more accomplished stablemate, I Am Fred.
2. HOVER CRAFT: (12-y-o b g by He'stherealthing - Royal Pizzaz) - At 12 years, Hover Craft is one of the oldest horses still in training. He is a hard knocking old-timer who is a genuine campaigner, plus he prefers to go long, especially at two turns. Hover Craft will be coming on in the straight for a minor place on the board.
3. BIG BIG DADDY: (5-y-o dkb h by Natural Selection - Just A Flutter) - Has been racing frequently of late in the lower grade of Overnight Allowance without much to show for his efforts. He can be seen as a filler for his more accomplished stablemate, Calculus.
4. I AM FRED (USA): (4-y-o b g by Golden Lad - Happy Hailey) - Ran the race of his life to beat the top-rated Mahogany in the None Such (six furlongs) on September 10. I Am Fred got home by a short head in a time of 1:11.3 for six furlongs. The improving I Am Fred holds a win at two turns (June 22, 2022), and based on his running style should not have an issue going 10 furlongs. I Am Fred is as fit as can be, making him a live contender for top honours.
5. BIG JULE: (4-y-o b c by Tapizar - Blues in the Grass) - Talented colt who has developed a passion for two-turn races. Big Jule was a winner on last when traveling nine furlongs and 25 yards, beating Best Daughter Ever and Ras Emanuel on July 1, to register his first win in Open Allowance. He now faces seasoned top graders but has the potential to deliver. He is going to play a significant role in the outcome of the Menudo Trophy.
6. CALCULUS: (4-y-o b c by Sensational Slam - Trinket Box) - Last year's Jamaica Derby and St Leger winner and runner-up to the Horse of the Year, Calculus is a proven two-turn specialist who will carry the bulk of the betting. Calculus stepped down to the Overnight Allowance level on September 11 and defeated rivals going nine plus in a time of 1:55.2. He returns to the top grade in good nick and should again be a comfortable winner.
BETTING OPTION - With Calculus likely to start as the odds-on favourite, it might be prudent to wager on an exacta with Calculus on top of Big Jule. Best of luck!