ROSEAU, Dominica CMC – Police in Dominica say an American has been arrested after a gun and several rounds of ammunition were found in a 40-foot container that had been stored on the compound of a church in Mahuat, located west of the island.
“Members of the Anti-Crime Task Force of the Commonwealth of Dominica Police Force (CDPF), along with investigators from the Unit of the Customs & Excise Division, executed a search warrant at the residence of Jason James Groog, a male adult of Indiana in the USA who resides in Belfast in Dominica,” police inspector Fixton Henderson reported.
He said the officers searched the container— which was in Grogg’s possession— and during the search, a Glock 9mm pistol along with a quantity of 9mm and 20mm ammunition among other items were seized for investigations.
Henderson added that during the search of the container, four M16 magazines - each containing 30 rounds of ammunition - and 17 20-gauge ammunition were recovered and seized for investigations.
The police said Groog, along with two members of his family, have since been arrested on suspicion of trafficking firearms and ammunition.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.