American seeking asylum ordered deported from Belize
BELMOPAN, Belize (CMC) – A 32-year-old American national, who claimed that he went to Belize seeking asylum, has been ordered deported to the United States.
The Magistrate Court heard that Gregory Aaron Brown of Connecticut had been living in Belize illegally.
When he appeared before Acting Chief Magistrate Tricia Pitts-Anderson on an immigration offense, Brown was handed a non-custodial sentence but was unable to pay a fine of BDZ$1,000 (J$75,000).
A removal order has since been granted and Brown must be deported to the United States within two weeks of paying his fine or completing his sentence.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.