PRAGUE (AP) — Emil Bocek, the last living Czech pilot who fought the Nazis while serving with Britain’s Royal Air Force during World War II, has died at age 100.
A community centre for war veterans in the Czech Republic city of Brno, his hometown, said Bocek died on Saturday. The Czech Defense Ministry confirmed his death. No further details were given.
“General Bocek was fighting for our country to be democratic, free and independent,” Prime Minister Petr Fiala said.
Born Feb 25, 1923, Bocek fled Czechoslovakia in 1939 at age 16 following the country’s occupation by Germany.
He fought the Nazis in France and then moved to Britain, where he served as a technician in the air force’s No 312 Squadron before joining the RAF’s No 310 Squadron as a pilot in 1944. Both fighter squadrons had Czechoslovak pilots.
“A Spitfire … it was a carriage,” Bocek told Czech public radio about the iconic British combat aircraft in 2016. “An unbelievable plane, a perfect plane.”
Bocek made 26 operational flights. He received several decorations in both his homeland and in Britain. from the Czech and British governments.
Britain’s King Charles III was among those who congratulated him on his 100th birthday last month.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.