A Jamaican vacation property owner has sparked controversy on social media after saying she will no longer offer short term rentals to black Americans because the ones she has hosted have largely been “nothing but problems.”
“The Barefoot Mountain Lady”, who owns Rustic Mountain Living in Hanover, made the controversial remarks in a TikTok video that has gone viral and has even made international news.
Disrespectful, entitled and unappreciative were the adjectives she used to describe her black American guests, noting that she has only ever hosted two black American parties who have been well behaved.
“It is that way because America has spoilt them and has given them so much free sh** that they think they could come to Jamaica and be nasty about it,” the property owner, who is herself black, ranted. “No short term stay, no short term stay, it’s not going to happen, I would rather eat salt and banana, and let goats and cows into my place than have people stress me out, I will not hate my business because of customers.”
Still, the woman stressed that she doesn’t believe all African Americans are ill-mannered, even pointing out that her “best friend” is black American.
“I am not saying all of you are like that… but the black Americans who have booked a ticket to Jamaica and chosen to stay at my place have driven me crazy,” she said.
Her comments triggered a firestorm on social media with many people accusing her of perpetuating offensive stereotypes about African Americans.
“White people in America have convinced the world that black people in America are entitled and ask for free stuff because we requested equity and the (still) unpaid debt of hundreds of years of enslavement. It’s not even offensive looking at stuff like this it’s comical,” one African American tweeted.
Another tweeted: “You can tell she thought this sh** about us before anything ever happened and is just using this as an excuse. F*** her. That “theyre entitled bc America gives them free stuff” line told on her so bad. Bc that’s the same b***** lies that white ppl say. America ain’t gave us S***!”
But some people defended her stance.
“I’m American and much respect to her, I also own rental property, so I know what you’re talking about. Stress free is the key,” one woman wrote on TikTok.
Said another: “I’ve never heard something so true! “I will not hate my business because of customers!” I wish I learned this sooner. Thank you for your hospitality.”
For her part, “The Barefoot Mountain Lady” in a follow-up video doubled down on her comments and refused to apologise.
“I am not sorry,” she said, laughing. “You can’t bully somebody into what you want them to say. It’s freedom of speech, I can say how I feel.”
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.