A man has been charged with breaches of the Firearms Act after a security guard seized his illegal firearm on Marcus Garvey Drive on Tuesday, December 13.
Charged is 39-year-old Dave Tyrell of Ellington Road, Bridgeport in St Catherine.
Tyrell was charged with possession of a prohibited weapon and unauthorised possession of ammunition after a Taurus 9mm pistol with a magazine containing seventeen 9mm rounds of ammunition was taken from him by a security guard.
Reports are that about 5:30 pm, the security guard, who was on duty, noticed Tyrell with a firearm and made enquiries. Tyrell could not produce a firearm license or permit, so the security guard confiscated the weapon and summoned the police.
On arrival of the lawmen, the firearm and ammunition were handed over. However, Tyrell could not be found.
On Wednesday, December 21, he turned himself in to the police accompanied by his attorney. He was subsequently charged after an interview was conducted.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.