ST JAMES, Jamaica — Shane Munroe, the chief executive officer (CEO) of MBJ Airports Limited, says operations at the Sangster International Airport in St James have so far not been impacted by Wednesday morning’s temporary halt to flights departing from the US.
"At this time, it is not having an impact as yet," Munroe told OBSERVER ONLINE a short while ago.
A computer glitch at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) brought departing flights to a standstill across the US until 9:00 am, resulting in hundreds of delays.
Munroe said reports coming out of the US are that the situation has been resolved and Jamaica is expected to remain on schedule for the arrival of its first flight out of the destination at 10:29 am.
He said there is currently no backlog of passengers at MBJ airport and departing passengers will be able to leave on time.
At 8:00 am Eastern, there were more than 2,500 delayed flights within, into or out of the United States, according to the flight tracking website FlightAware, exceeding the number of all delayed flights on the previous day. More than 150 were cancelled.
- Anthony Lewis