Lannaman's Preparatory will meet Belair while Emmanuel Christian Academy (ECA) face off against Hillel Academy in critical match-ups as the quarter-finals of the Jamaica Independent Schools Association (JISA) Alberga Cup football competition continues across the island.
All four teams are coming off wins in their quarter-final group openers on Monday and will each be looking to inch closer to the semi-finals of the competition with victory over their opponents.
The marauding Lannaman's, who started the competition as the overwhelming favourite for the title, easily got the better of Liberty Academy 4-0 in quarter-final Group A action on Monday and know very well that a win today against the Manchester-based Belair Prep, who brushed aside Wolmer's 3-0 in their first quarter-final, will take them closer to their target.
However, Belair, which ended the preliminary round as the fifth-ranked team in the nation having won all and scored 32 goals in their five matches, should prove a tough test for Lannaman's, who are also perfect this season, having won all of their nine games so far and scoring 79 goals – by far the most in the tournament.
In the other key showdown, Group C action will see ECA, another perennial contender, look to build on their massive 6-0 triumph over Glowell on Monday when they face the high-riding Hillel, who have surprised this season with only one loss – this at the hands of Lannaman's.
Hillel dominated much of their first quarter-final fixture against El Instituto, but were made to sweat for their narrow 1-0 win at the Porus Community Centre on Monday with the goal – a thunderous long-distance effort, arriving with virtually the last kick of the contest.
Kick-off is set for 3:00 pm at Hillel Academy.
In today's other quarter-final match-ups, Liberty will face Wolmer's at Liberty (2:30 pm) in the other quarter-final Group A contest while El Instituto and Glowell will look to get back on track when they meet at the Porus Community Centre at 3:00 pm. Lannaman's and Belair will meet in the opener at 1:30 pm.
In quarter-final Group B, Sts Peter and Paul, who slammed Fairfield 8-0 on Monday, will face St Hugh's, who are also coming off a heavy 6-0 defeat to Mona Prep, with the latter tackling Fairfield International in the other contest.
St Hugh's and Sts Peter and Paul will meet at Hillel starting at 1:30 pm while Fairfield International will host Mona at the same time.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.