Suspect in killing of 8 people in Chicago fatally shoots himself
CHICAGO — A man suspected of shooting eight people to death in suburban Chicago, killed himself following a confrontation with law enforcement officials in Texas late Monday.
According to a report from The Associated Press, police in Joliet, Illinois, said on Facebook that at about 8:30 pm, the shooter, 23-year-old Romeo Nance, was located by US Marshals near Natalia, Texas. Nance reportedly shot himself after a confrontation.
“Nance is suspected of fatally shooting eight people at three locations in the Chicago suburbs, sparking a search that left neighbours on edge earlier Monday as police warned he was still on the loose and should be considered “armed and dangerous,” AP News said in their report.
According to the article, police in Will County in Illinois and Joliet previously said they did not know of a motive for the killings, but it was later discovered that the killer knew his victims. The deceased were found Sunday and Monday at three separate residences, authorities told reporters at a news conference earlier Monday evening.
Joliet Police said in a Facebook post earlier on Monday afternoon that they were investigating “multiple” people found dead and shared Nance’s photo and images of a vehicle. Authorities identified the vehicle as a red Toyota Camry.
Earlier Monday, the Will County Sheriff’s Office shared images of the same car via Facebook and said it had been seen at the scenes of two separate shootings Sunday afternoon.