Subscribe Login
Jamaica Observer
ePaper
The Edge 105 FM Radio Fyah 105 FM
Jamaica Observer
ePaper
The Edge 105 FM Radio Fyah 105 FM
    • Home
    • News
      • Latest News
      • Cartoon
      • International News
      • Central
      • North & East
      • Western
      • Environment
      • Health
      • #
    • Business
      • Business Bites
      • Social Love
    • Sports
      • Football
      • Basketball
      • Cricket
      • Horse Racing
      • World Champs
      • Commonwealth Games
      • FIFA World Cup
      • Olympics
      • #
    • Videos
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Art & Culture
      • Bookends
      • #
    • Lifestyle
      • Page2
      • Food
      • Tuesday Style
      • Food Awards
      • JOL Takes Style Out
      • Design Week JA
      • Black Friday
      • #
    • All Woman
      • Home
      • Relationships
      • Features
      • Fashion
      • Fitness
      • Rights
      • Parenting
      • Advice
      • #
    • Obits
    • Classifieds
      • Employment
      • Property
      • Motor Vehicles
      • Place an Ad
      • Obituaries
    • More
      • Games
      • Elections
      • Jobs & Careers
      • Study Centre
      • Jnr Study Centre
      • Letters
      • Columns
      • Advertorial
      • Editorial
      • Supplements
      • Webinars
    • Home
    • News
      • Latest News
      • Cartoon
      • International News
      • Central
      • North & East
      • Western
      • Environment
      • Health
      • #
    • Business
      • Business Bites
      • Social Love
    • Sports
      • Football
      • Basketball
      • Cricket
      • Horse Racing
      • World Champs
      • Commonwealth Games
      • FIFA World Cup
      • Olympics
      • #
    • Videos
    • Entertainment
      • Music
      • Movies
      • Art & Culture
      • Bookends
      • #
    • Lifestyle
      • Page2
      • Food
      • Tuesday Style
      • Food Awards
      • JOL Takes Style Out
      • Design Week JA
      • Black Friday
      • #
    • All Woman
      • Home
      • Relationships
      • Features
      • Fashion
      • Fitness
      • Rights
      • Parenting
      • Advice
      • #
    • Obits
    • Classifieds
      • Employment
      • Property
      • Motor Vehicles
      • Place an Ad
      • Obituaries
    • More
      • Games
      • Elections
      • Jobs & Careers
      • Study Centre
      • Jnr Study Centre
      • Letters
      • Columns
      • Advertorial
      • Editorial
      • Supplements
      • Webinars
  • Home
  • News
    • International News
  • Latest
  • Business
    • Business Bites
  • Cartoon
  • Games
  • Food Awards
  • Health
  • Entertainment
    • Bookends
  • Regional
  • Sports
    • Sports
    • World Cup
    • World Champs
    • Olympics
  • Videos
  • Career & Education
  • Classifieds
  • All Woman
  • Environment
  • Webinars
  • More
    • Football
    • Elections
    • Letters
    • Advertorial
    • Columns
    • Editorial
    • Supplements
  • Epaper
  • Design Week
Prince Harry, Elton John lose case against UK tabloid
In this file photo Britain's Prince Harry arrives outside the High Court in London on January 20, 2026, for the second day of the trial in his case against a major UK newspaper group. An African AIDS charity co-founded by Prince Harry in honour of his mother Princess Diana is suing him for defamation, media reports said April 10, 2026, following a bitter internal dispute. (Photo by Brook Mitchell / AFP)
International News, Latest News
July 7, 2026

Prince Harry, Elton John lose case against UK tabloid

LONDON, United Kingdom (AFP) — Prince Harry and Elton John on Tuesday lost their case against the Daily Mail’s publisher for alleged unlawful information gathering, according to a ruling by London’s High Court.

A written judgment published following an 11-week trial earlier this year said the “claimants failed to prove their pleaded allegations… the claims are therefore dismissed”.

Welcoming the judgment by Judge Matthew Nicklin, Associated Newspapers called it an “overwhelming victory” and a “magnificent vindication of the Daily Mail’s journalism”.

It said the court’s dismissal of the “every single one of the 97 allegations made by the claimants” showed the judge had “accepted the honesty of our journalists’ evidence on how they sourced their stories”.

Allegations that bugs had been placed in people’s cars and homes, calls had been listened to and bank accounts illicitly accessed had been “lurid” and “preposterous” with no “credible evidence” ever presented, Associated said in a statement.

“The reputations of our decent and hard-working journalists were terribly impugned, and today they have been exonerated,” it added.

The prince gave emotional testimony during the proceedings in which several high-profile figures, including John and actor Elizabeth Hurley, accused the tabloid publisher of invading their privacy.

Harry’s lawyers had said they were seeking “substantial” damages on behalf of their clients over articles dating from 1993 to 2018.

It was the third and final case brought by the Duke of Sussex in his acrimonious legal battle with British tabloids, which has further strained relations with the royal family.

 

– ‘Disappointing’ –

 

Harry, 41 — the youngest son of King Charles III — has also been involved in other legal spats, including over his police protection in Britain following his dramatic departure from frontline royal duties six years ago.

The prince, now living in California, arrived in Britain on Monday for a five-day visit expected to go ahead mostly without his wife and children after the family was refused police protection.

The trip, to mark the one-year countdown to next year’s Invictus Games for wounded veterans, which Harry founded, was meant to be his first family trip back to the UK in four years.

But a source close to the Duke of Sussex told AFP that Harry’s wife Meghan, son Archie and daughter Lilibet would not accompany him on the London leg of the trip after the family was refused security.

Arrangements for the rest of the trip were still under consideration, the source said, leaving it unclear whether the whole family would visit but stay outside the capital.

Contradictory statements about plans to stay at Buckingham Palace while in London added to the prince’s headaches.

Just ahead of Harry’s arrival, Buckingham Palace contradicted the duke’s team to say that he would not be staying at the palace after missing a deadline to accept the accommodation offer.

Harry’s spokesman said it was “disappointing” the offer to be hosted by his father had been “withdrawn at the last moment”, in a statement sent to AFP.

It was unclear whether the prince would meet his father during the trip. He is last understood to have met Charles, who is being treated for an undisclosed form of cancer, at the monarch’s London residence Clarence House in September 2025.

Harry and Meghan left Britain for North America in 2020 amid a bitter feud with his family, which worsened as Harry published his tell-all memoir “Spare”.

The prince has since said he wishes to reconcile with his father.

According to his spokesperson, Harry had to make “alternative security arrangements” for the trip after publicly funded protection was refused, contributing to the delay in accepting Buckingham Palace’s accommodation offer.

Last year, Harry said he felt unable to bring his family to Britain after losing a court case to have his security restored during visits home.

Harry has long blamed the media for the death of his mother Princess Diana, who was killed in a Paris car crash in 1997 while trying to shake off the paparazzi.

Tags:

Daily Mail Elton John Prince Harry
{"jamaica-observer":"Jamaica Observer"}
img img
0 Comments · Make a comment

ALSO ON JAMAICA OBSERVER

‘Shock gloves’ for US immigration agents fuel potential abuse fears
International News, Latest News
‘Shock gloves’ for US immigration agents fuel potential abuse fears
August 13, 2026
WASHINGTON, United States (AFP) — Plans to equip United States (US) immigration enforcement agents with gloves capable of delivering debilitating elec...
{"jamaica-observer":"Jamaica Observer"}
Forex: $158.22 to one US dollar
Latest News, News
Forex: $158.22 to one US dollar
August 13, 2026
KINGSTON, Jamaica — The United States (US) dollar on Thursday, August 13, ended trading at $158.22, down by 65 cents according to Bank of Jamaica’s da...
{"jamaica-observer":"Jamaica Observer"}
Golding rejects claims linking him, Bunting to Coopers Pen land
Latest News, News
Golding rejects claims linking him, Bunting to Coopers Pen land
August 13, 2026
TRELAWNY, Jamaica  — Opposition Leader Mark Golding has rejected claims that he and Opposition spokesman on national security Peter Bunting have any d...
{"jamaica-observer":"Jamaica Observer"}
Free hugs ease heartache in Colombia’s quake zone
International News, Latest News
Free hugs ease heartache in Colombia’s quake zone
August 13, 2026
CALI, Colombia (AFP) — On top of medical assistance, food provisions and shelter, Colombia's quake victims also need emotional support after their wor...
{"jamaica-observer":"Jamaica Observer"}
15-y-o detained over deadly French forest fire
International News, Latest News
15-y-o detained over deadly French forest fire
August 13, 2026
BORDEAUX, France (AFP) — French authorities have detained a 15-year-old youth suspected of starting a forest fire that killed two firefighters, a sour...
{"jamaica-observer":"Jamaica Observer"}
Coopers Pen demolition ‘a humanitarian calamity,’ says PNP
Latest News, News
Coopers Pen demolition ‘a humanitarian calamity,’ says PNP
August 13, 2026
KINGSTON, Jamaica — Following a visit to Cooper’s Pen Trelawny on Thursday by members of the Opposition People's National Party (PNP), the party is ca...
{"jamaica-observer":"Jamaica Observer"}
US plans attacks on land against drug cartels in Latin America, says Hegseth
International News, Latest News
US plans attacks on land against drug cartels in Latin America, says Hegseth
August 13, 2026
WASHINGTON, United States (AFP) — The United States (US) is planning land attacks against drug traffickers in Latin America, expanding an airstrike ca...
{"jamaica-observer":"Jamaica Observer"}
Gov’t exploring potential desalination projects
Latest News, News
Gov’t exploring potential desalination projects
August 13, 2026
KINGSTON, Jamaica — Minister of Water, Environment and Climate Change, Matthew Samuda, has indicated that feasibility studies are being conducted in S...
{"jamaica-observer":"Jamaica Observer"}
❮ ❯

Polls

HOUSE RULES

  1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
  2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
  3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
  4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
  5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.
  6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.
  7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

Recent Posts

Archives

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Tweets

Polls

Recent Posts

Archives

Logo Jamaica Observer
Breaking news from the premier Jamaican newspaper, the Jamaica Observer. Follow Jamaican news online for free and stay informed on what's happening in the Caribbean
Featured Tags
  • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Health
  • Auto
  • Business
  • Letters
  • Page2
  • Football
Categories
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Page2
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Page2
Ads
img
Jamaica Observer, © All Rights Reserved
  • Home
  • Contact Us
  • RSS Feeds
  • Feedback
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Code of Conduct