Relocation plan in the works for residents of flood-prone Burger Gully
MEMBER of Parliament for Kingston Eastern and Port Royal Phillip Paulwell has developed a plan to relocate residents of the frequently flooded Burger Gully area of his constituency. But even as that initiative is fleshed out, plans are in place to repair the gully to provide relief for the people if there are heavy flood rains.
Paulwell told the Jamaica Observer on Monday that the Government has already allocated $30 million to repair the gully so as to lessen possible flooding during the current Atlantic hurricane season.
He said the repair to the gully is expected to be completed by next month.
“Where we are at with Burger Gully is that Works Minister [Robert Morgan] has pledged to assist with the repairs of the walls and the flooring of the gully, and I am in fact glad that he has acted upon the repairs. That work has started,” said Paulwell as he added that Morgan has also requested his assistance with getting people relocated from the area.
“I have taken him up on the challenge to convince the people to relocate — and that consultation has been done — and that, for me, is a major exercise in getting people to agree that they will have to move from the gully bank,” added Paulwell.
He told the Observer that lands have been identified in the communities of Mountain View and Rockfort for the relocation of Burger Gully residents, but he is awaiting a response from Morgan.
“I have identified three different parcels of land in and around the community. It is for the ministry now to come and do the proper surveying of the land,” Paulwell said.
He explained that although the Government will be responsible for constructing the envisioned four-floor apartment complexes under Project HOPE, residents will have to contribute to maintaining the property.
Project HOPE is being funded through a US$2-million partnership with the United States as part of a $22-million relief initiative to the Jamaican people following Hurricane Melissa, which devastated sections of the island last October.
Before his interview with the Observer Paulwell, speaking at his annual constituency conference at Vauxhall High School on Sunday, indicated that the relocation initiative will apply to some 150 residents living closest to the gully’s bank.
“We are happy that eventually we are going to see the construction of new tenements properly done — proper sewage, water and electricity installed — for these people who have been living for decades by the gully bank. There are other people who live in the vicinity but they are not as badly affected,” said Paulwell.
The flooding of Burger Gully has been an ongoing problem but worsened last year as flood waters damaged sections of the gully wall.
Since then, Paulwell has championed its repair and urged the Government to put in place structures to prevent further flooding.
“I can tell you, every time I see the clouds set up and rain start to fall, I am just waiting for the calls. And although repairs are now being done to the gully, that wall cannot be high enough,” he told the conference.