KINGSTON , Jamaica -- The death of 12- year -old Liah Hugh on Thursday has rocked the community of Rollington Town in East Kingston and has left a father lost for words.
READ: 12-year-old perishes in fire in Rollington Town
Toney, father of the former Kingston Technical student, in an interview was visibly distraught as he couldn’t believe the nature of the news he received earlier in the day.
“ Me not even know weh fe seh, me deh inna the house and hear a mada call me and tell me seh the likkle girl bun up inna the house and mi feh come. A while ago me come and a she dat inna deh house and me naah leave till she come out a the house. Me love me pickney dem, a seven a dem me get and me nuh lef dem out. Me work hard and sell fish feh mine dem and at the end of the day, a this me see wid me likkle daughter,” the devastated parent told OBSERVER ONLINE.
Principal of Kingston College, Jermaine Loutin, was also in a sombre mood, as he described the 7th grader as ‘mannerable’ and raved about the 12-year-old's academic feats.
“We are very saddened to hear that she has perished [and] would not have gotten the opportunity to rise her potential," said the principal.
Loutin also disclosed that under normal circumstances, Hugh would’ve been in school but due to the parent consultation over the span of three days, the 12-year-old would have had to remain at home.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.