The police are asking the public to inform them or send in videos of protestors preventing taxi operators or passengers from going about their affairs.
This is in wake of Monday morning’s strike by taxi and bus operators. The operators withdrew their services in protest of what they say is a long-ignored request to have a traffic ticket amnesty for the public transport sector.
But some of the protestors have been impeding and threatening other public passenger transport operators who have not withdrawn their services.
At least two videos were posted on social media of men threatening drivers and passengers with weapons, including machetes, and telling them to exit their vehicles.
But Gary McKenzie, the Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of the Public Safety and Traffic Enforcement Branch, said this is illegal and is asking citizens to notify the police.
“Persons can peacefully protest, but when they are going to intimidate, threaten or assault people, then that is not something we are going to tolerate,” ACP McKenzie said.
He is asking members of the public to notify police, whether through calls or videos, of when the protestors are disrupting other public passenger operators or passengers.
“So we want the public to send the videos to us wherever and whenever they see it, and we will deal with it right away,” the ACP told OBSERVER ONLINE.
He said the police have so far arrested two men who were witnessed disrupting others from going about their lawful business during the protest.