UWI student Matthew Hyde to return to court next week for bail application
The main gates to the UWI Mona campus on Mona Road (file photo)

The case against Matthew Hyde, the University of the West Indies (UWI), Mona Campus student accused of torturing his ex-girlfriend, was once again delayed on Friday.

The matter was delayed until Wednesday, March 22, due to the defence counsel having "urgent matters to attend to."

Hyde, 20, had not yet arrived at the Kingston and St Andrew Parish Court when the matter was mentioned on Friday.

He is charged for assault occasioning grievous bodily harm, false imprisonment, and malicious communication.

Hyde's Defence Attorney Peter Champagnie, KC, made the request to have the matter adjourned until March 22.

"Subject to your approval we have agreed for next week Wednesday for this matter… specifically for an application for bail," Champagnie said.

"Very well Counsel, I release you. When the defendant arrives let me know so that I can inform him about what is what," Senior Parish Judge, Justice Paula Blake-Powell said.

Additionally, it was revealed that a psychiatric evaluation is to be provided for the accused on the next day the case is mentioned.

On March 9, Hyde was remanded as the court awaited the preparation of his antecedents. It was not disclosed if this was available on file when the matter was mentioned.

Reports are that between Monday February 6 and Thursday February 9, Hyde allegedly held his ex-girlfriend against her will in his room on a block of the George Alleyne Hall on the UWI Mona campus where he repeatedly beat her and burned her all over her body with a clothes iron .

She was subsequently rescued and a report was made to the police. Hyde was arrested and charged.

The UWI, in a statement on the matter last month, said that on February 9 campus security received information that a female student was being held in the room of another student.

"She was found to have suffered burns all over her body. Campus security immediately advised the campus police, along with the Mona police, who quickly responded, rescued the female student, and handed over the accused to the Half-Way-Tree Police Station where he was charged with assault occasioning grievous bodily harm," The UWI said.

The UWI condemned the violent act, thanked the student who "acted bravely to report the matter", and encouraged other students "to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity that may endanger themselves or others immediately to the police or campus security".

-Candice Haughton

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at https://bit.ly/epaper-login


  1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
  2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
  3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
  4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
  5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.
  6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.
  7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy