Over 3000 fishers benefit from moratorium on licence and vessel renewal
THE National Fisheries Authority (NFA) recently concluded its moratorium on the renewal of fishing licences and vessels, processing more than 3000 application ahead of last week’s (May 11, 2026) deadline.
The initiative, which aimed to support fishing communities severely affected by Hurricane Melissa, saw some 2997 licence applications processed by May 8, which later surpassed 3000 on the final day.
Running from November 12, 2025 to May 11, 2026, the programme facilitated the licensing of over 2700 fishers and the renewal of more than 280 vessels across eight parishes, providing an estimated $5 million in benefits to the local fishing industry.
Hurricane Melissa, a Category 5 storm that struck the island on October 28, 2025, caused catastrophic damage to the fishing sector, resulting in an estimated $5.7 billion in total losses as it destroyed over 3,200 vessels, or about 45 per cent of the national fleet. Fishers in mainly south coast communities suffered significant damage to engines, gear and other critical infrastructure.
The moratorium focused on the parishes hardest hit by the hurricane: Clarendon, Manchester, St Elizabeth, Westmoreland, Hanover, St James, Trelawny, and St Ann, offering a much-needed reprieve for fishers.
Clarendon recorded the largest participation, with approximately 721 fishers and 66 vessels renewed, representing more than 25 per cent of the total uptake. St Elizabeth followed next with over 200 fishers renewing licences in a single session in Parottee. Other parishes saw substantial engagement, with Westmoreland accounting for over 600 participants, St Elizabeth 429, Manchester 296, St James 271, St Ann 222, Hanover 195, and Trelawny with 170.
“Overall, we believe the programme has performed exceptionally well in providing necessary relief to our fishers during a challenging period,” said Kemeisha Harrison-Plummer, senior director of licensing and registration at the NFA. “While the moratorium has officially ended, the authority remains committed to supporting our fishing industry.”
Harrison-Plummer further said that though regular licensing operations resumed on May 12, fishers who missed the moratorium can still register through standard channels.
“Licensing fees have also not increased as we remain very mindful of the ongoing recovery efforts within the sector,” she added.
The moratorium, designed as part of the NFA’s and Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Mining’s Back to Sea, Safely action plan, covered individual and vessel licence fees, as well as inspection fees for artisanal commercial fishing activity. It targeted registered fishers in the western and central parishes most affected by the hurricane, helping to alleviate financial pressures as it supported the industry’s recovery.
In addition to fee waivers, the initiative promoted safety at sea, distributing “grab bags” containing VHF radios, first aid kits, life jackets, and EPIRBs to prevent emergencies. Co-funded by Japan, the programme also supported asset replacement, post-harvest training, and gear distribution.
“Hurricane Melissa has destroyed livelihoods and damaged critical assets,” said NFA CEO Dr Gavin Bellamy. “By suspending fees we have eased the financial burden on our fishers, allowing them to focus on repairing their vessels and gear and returning to the sea to provide for their families and our nation.”