Implementation phase of using donated funds to provide houses to Jamaicans underway, says Fitz-Henley
KINGSTON, Jamaica — State Minister Abka Fitz-Henley says, following a commitment made by Prime Minister Andrew Holness in December last year, the Government is accelerating the implementation phase of using funds donated in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa to support the provision of houses to Jamaicans whose dwellings were destroyed by the weather system.
Hurricane Melissa made landfall in October 2025 causing widespread destruction to the western region of the island.
Minister Fitz-Henley reiterated that progress is being made in the roll-out of modular houses to Jamaicans affected while speaking with the media following a function at Jamaica House on Thursday.
“The process is very much underway, commencing with the construction of bases. The prime minister had stated clearly from December last year that funds donated via the Support Jamaica portal would be used for the critical purpose of fulfilling housing needs arising from Hurricane Melissa. Of course, selection of the most fit-for-purpose houses, the procurement process and the process of getting the houses to Jamaica took some time. However, let us be clear, the Government is in the implementation phase of this very important initiative.”
The state minister in the Office of the Prime Minister said, in order to accelerate the process, the Government has moved to issue grants to Jamaicans who will be given modular houses for the purpose of constructing bases to accommodate the structures.
He noted that the bases will have to be approved by the respective municipal corporations.
“Our commitment made in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa to use the funds donated in a way that is meaningful in terms of improving the lives of Jamaicans affected by Melissa is still in place and is being implemented. In fact, I would suggest that use of the donated funds cannot get much more meaningful than putting it towards having shelter put over the heads of families who were left exposed by the devastating impact of Hurricane Melissa.
“ODPEM (Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management) has committed 600 million of the donated funds to assisting with the building of bases to ensure people affected get shelter as soon as possible,” Fitz-Henley said.
Following enquiries by Opposition Senator Floyd Morris, Minister Fitz-Henley recently told Parliament that 924 modular houses are in Jamaica.
He revealed that 700 additional modular houses are on the way to the island and another 700 will arrive thereafter.
On Tuesday, Minister with responsibility for Land Titling and Settlements, Robert Montague, toured the ODPEM storage area in Twickenham Park, St Catherine, where some of the modular houses are being stored.
Minister Montague told the media that the Government is intentional about ensuring that the modular houses are assembled in areas which are safe and environmentally secure.