While working as a lifeguard in Negril some years ago, Andre Lewis was determined to make waves in another profession. After almost four years working the beaches, he left to pursue his dream of becoming a dancehall artiste.
Since 2021, he has recorded songs as singjay Nitty Zulu. This year has been his busiest to date with the release of a debut album.
"I used to freestyle with friends and realised even when I wasn't doing that I was thinking about music. I was a lifeguard but there was something missing," he said.
Karma, his first album, was released last summer by United Masters, an independent company based in the United States. It contains songs such as Tribal Queen, Touch, and BMW.
It was United Masters which produced Wheeling, his debut song, in 2021. That was followed by Pressure and Focus.
On Tribal Queen, his latest song, Nitty Zulu salutes the indigenous woman.
"This song is for any ethnicity that has a tribal background, anywhere in the world. It's a tribute to them, their strength and resilience, " he said.
Nitty Zulu was born in St Elizabeth but raised in Kendall, a town in neighbouring Manchester known for the 1957 railway tragedy that resulted in 187 deaths.
Tribal Queen also marks his foray into production. He co-produced the track with DJ Kenny.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.