NEW YORK, United States (AP) — The estate of rapper Coolio plans to release a studio album later this year that the Grammy-winning hitmaker had been working on in the days before he died.
Long Live Coolio will be the first posthumous album release from the Gangsta's Paradise star and the first single, TAG 'You It, dropped Friday featuring Too $hort and DJ Wino.
The raunchy single's video — that begins with Coolio and Too $hort in a boxing ring as various women gyrate — marks the last piece of visual content Coolio appeared in before his death from cardiac arrest on September 28, 2022, at age 59.
Coolio won a Grammy for best solo rap performance for Gangsta's Paradise, the 1995 hit from the soundtrack of the Michelle Pfeiffer film Dangerous Minds that sampled Stevie Wonder's 1976 song Pastime Paradise and was played constantly on MTV.
The rapper would never again have a song nearly as big, but had subsequent hits with Fantastic Voyage in 1994, 1, 2, 3, 4 (Sumpin' New) in 1996, and 1997's C U When U Get There.
His career album sales totalled 4.8 million, with 978 million on-demand streams of his songs, according to Luminate. He would be nominated for six Grammys overall.
He starred in a reality show about parenting called Coolio's Rules, provided a voice for an episode of the animated show Gravity Falls, and performed the theme music for the Nickelodeon sitcom Kenan & Kel.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.