Coming on the heels of Lounge 2727 Copping the Best Watering Hole Outside of Kingston at the Jamaica Observer Table Talk Food Awards 2022, Thursday Food sat down with the super busy Christopher "Birdeye" Gordon, one of the principals of the lounge located on Jimmy Cliff Boulevard in Montego Bay.
"Quite often I am asked 'What makes 27…27?' I like to say it's already in the question 27 is 27 that makes it 2727. We simply ask patrons to 'Define Yourself'.
"I would also add it's about 27 algorithms that work 27 times as hard to keep a consistent nightlife offering excitement seven days a week. Now… to answer the question," Gordon posited coyly.
Ten things that make Lounge 2727 the best in nightlife in Jamaica:
1. Atmosphere — Define Yourself. We emphasise the be good and feel good mindset.
2. Resilience — COVID test of faith. With no patrons for months, we found creative ways to get the word out and maintain the few persons who walked through the doors. We didn't close our doors for too long due to a request from our neighbouring venture at Island Strains Herb House. This led to two years of word of mouth. It was costly but by the mid-second quarter of the pandemic we started getting favourable patronage.
3. Music selection — Balance of who we are as an island and what's happening around the world. We cater to the diverse clientele that patronise our business.
4. Bravery — It takes real Scarface-type guts to take on nightlife and entertainment without any previous experience in hospitality! The lessons learnt have been priceless.
5. The people — We have had some wonderful clients over the years. This number has grown steadily. We became the "People's Choice" without excessive or intrusive marketing. This eventually led to recognition from the Jamaica Observer with a food award — Best Watering Hole 2022.
6. Seven days a week — We are open every day with a weekly schedule. The love of the island can be experienced every day.
7. Fresh approach — We took the risk of being the trailblazer. Hence the reason for the rise of several name changes and outpouring of use of the word "lounge" in recent times. Imitation is the greatest flattery.
8. The stars align — Whether it's Burna Boy, Popcaan, Ne-Yo, Future, Davido, Tori Harvey... some who I can't even name! There is sense of comfort, class and natural mystic that makes even the greatest set of superstars feel rooted in irie vibes. Montego Bay is a mecca for superstars, and we have been blessed to attract them whenever they visit.
9. Unprecedented and ever-growing — We're always adding new tweaks to the formula to keep us growing.
10. Dedicated — We (the Gordons) as owners believe in the business and Montego Bay and, by extension, Jamaica. We're committed to making it the best nightlife spot and delivering the best in experiences.
For 2023 it's all about the next layer, that will see…
Sunset 27 Happiest Hour. We boast the most beautiful sunset view in Montego Bay. Golden sunsets with aeroplanes, boats, and cruise ship appearances… no other lounge in the island provides such offerings. The Lounge 2727 — DAYLIFE!
It's, as we say, Lounge 2727… Define Yourself. What we believe "#1 Lounge in the Caribbean".
— Photos & Text: Aceion Cunningham
Address: Island Strains Herb House, 3 Jimmy Cliff Avenue, Montego Bay
Tel #: 876-825-6519