ST JAMES, Jamaica – After completion of the rehabilitation project underway at the Cornwall Regional Hospital (CRH) in St James, patients will be able to access free colonoscopy service at the State-run Type A facility.
"We will have an endoscopy suite in the operating theatre. And let me give you an idea of what that is. Every single person, doesn't matter what problems you have, once you're over 45 years of age, you should have a colonoscopy done. In the private sector, the cost for colonoscopy will run you somewhere about $65,000. We want to put in a suite where our public patient will be able to access colonoscopy services at the Cornwall Hospital free of cost," disclosed Dr Delroy Fray, clinical coordinator, CRH.
"I take pride in telling my colleagues when I travel that we have one of the best radiation oncology services at Cornwall Region Hospital," he added.
He revealed that eight additional specialities will be offered at CRH after the rehabilitation project is completed.
"Prior to closing down, we had 27 specialities at the time. With this refurbished hospital we are going to run 35 specialities in the hospital," Dr Fray said.
He added that the refurbished hospital will boast 220 additional beds.
"Before we had before 450 and we're gonna add 220 more beds. Do the mathematics," Dr Fray noted.
He was speaking at a CRH town-hall meeting held under the theme: "Renew and Restore" at the Montego Bay Civic Centre on Thursday.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.