SANTO DOMINIGO, Dominican Republic (CMC) – Two Haitian women have been arrested after Dominican Republic security officials intercepted a vehicle carrying more than 22,000 rounds of ammunition destined for Haiti.
The soldiers from the Specialized Corps for Land Border Security (CESFRONT) responsible for border operations between both countries made the arrest on Tuesday.
They said a toddler was also in the company of the two women when the vehicle was searched at the El Carrizal border post.
According to the authorities, the soldiers also discovered five cell phones among the seized ammunition.
The women and the minor, as well as the vehicle and the ammunition seized, were taken to the CESFRONT base of operations of Elías Piña.
A Haitian national, whose passport was found in the vehicle and has been living in the Dominican Republic for several months, told the media he is unaware of the events that transpired on Tuesday.
Haiti has been rocked by violence with armed criminal gangs acquiescing only recently to give access to the country’s main fuel terminal after erecting a blockade for months.
READ: Haiti gang leader to lift fuel blockade amid shortages
There have also been protests calling for the resignation of the government in Port au Prince.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.