KINGSTON, Jamaica - The South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA) says it has called in the services of the relevant Government agencies for “greater protection” after a cyberattack on its information system.
SERHA made the revelation in a release on Thursday.
“The attack has affected some information and communications technologies (ICT) and other services to the public,” the release read.
It continued: "Some of the services offered by the health department have been restored, and SERHA apologises for any inconvenience caused by this interruption and looks forward to the full restoration of its services in the region.”
SERHA's announcement follows the Opposition People's National Party on Wednesday calling on Health Minister Dr Christopher Tufton to address alleged data breach at the regional authority.
READ: PNP calls on Tufton to address alleged data breach at SERHA
According to Junior Opposition Spokesperson on Commerce, Science and Technology Omar Newell, several sources have indicated that patient records were breached, and the hackers are demanding a ransom.
SERHA has advised that for more information, persons can contact its regional director, Errol C Greene, using the telephone number (876) 829-4336.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.