Man City’s Mendy labelled ‘predator’ as rape trial starts
Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy arrives at Chester Crown Court in Chester, England, Monday, August 15, 2022. The trial of Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy begins Monday, with the footballer accused of eight counts of rape. Mendy, 28, is also accused of one count of attempted rape and one count of sexual assault. He denies all charges. (David Rawcliffe/PA via AP)

CHESTER, England (AP) — Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy was described by prosecutors as a “predator” who could not take no for an answer as the trial began Monday of the French soccer player accused of eight counts of rape.

Mendy also has been accused of one count of attempted rape and one count of sexual assault. He is alleged to have committed the offenses against seven young women between October 2018 and August last year.

He denies the charges.

Timothy Cray, the lawyer for the prosecution, opened the trial at Chester Crown Court in northwest England by telling the jury: “The prosecution case is simple. It has little to do with football. Instead, we say, it is another chapter in a very old story — men who rape and sexually assault women, because they think they are powerful, and because they think they can get away with it.”

Mendy is standing trial with Louis Saha Matturie, who denies eight counts of rape and four counts of sexual assault relating to eight young women.

The alleged offenses span from July 2012 to August last year.

Cray said Saha was Mendy’s friend and fixer, and one of his jobs was “to find young women and to create the situations where those young women could be raped and sexually assaulted.”

“The acts that the defendants did together show callous indifference to the women they went after,” Cray told the court. “In their minds, and this could not be clearer, the stream of women they brought to their homes existed purely to be pursued for sex.”

Cray told jurors they will hear from 13 different women.

“Our case is that the defendants’ pursuit of these 13 women turned them into predators, who were prepared to commit serious sexual offenses,” Cray said.

He said “the fact they would not take ‘no’ for an answer” would be something the jurors will “hear time and time again.”

Mendy has played for City since 2017 after joining from Monaco. He was suspended by the club after being charged by police.

Both defendants are on bail and the trial is expected to last up to 15 weeks.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at https://bit.ly/epaper-login

HOUSE RULES

  1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
  2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
  3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
  4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
  5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.
  6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.
  7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy