Brazen gunmen absconded with almost $10 million in cash, gunning down a security guard and injuring two others, in an audacious mid-morning robbery that shocked bystanders at the Portmore Pines plaza in St Catherine.
St Catherine South Commanding Officer, Superintendent Christopher Phillips, confirmed that the police are following several leads.
Reports are that two men alighted from a motor car and with high powered weapons and sprayed the security guards, employed to Beryllium Limited, as they headed towards a Jamaica National automated teller machine (ATM).
Frantic bystanders scampered for cover as the gunshots rang out.
The men then grabbed the bags of cash and escaped in a waiting white Subaru motor car.
"One of the male guards was pronounced dead at the hospital while the female security guard underwent emergency surgery," SSP Phillips said.
The female security guard remains hospitalised in serious but stable condition.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.