A 42-year-old St Elizabeth fisherman was on Friday sentenced to an accumulated time of 12 years in prison in the Home Circuit Court following his conviction on drug-related charges.
Daniel Hanson was sentenced after he pleaded guilty to three counts of breaches of the Dangerous Drugs Act with which he was charged in 2021.
He was arrested along with two other men on Monday, November 22, 2021, about 9:00 pm, after the Jamaica Defence Force Coast Guard intercepted a fishing boat off the coast of Black River, St Elizabeth, on which they were travelling with approximately 812 kg of cocaine.
Following an investigation by detectives at the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) Narcotics Division, all three men were subsequently charged with possession, dealing, importing and trafficking cocaine, and being part of a criminal organisation.
On their appearance before the court Friday, Hanson, who previously pleaded guilty to possession, dealing and importing cocaine, received sentences amounting to 12 years and two months.
However, he may spend a maximum of seven years and seven months in prison, given that some of the sentences are to run consecutively. The charges against the other men were withdrawn.
The drug for which the men were charged had an estimated street value of more than US$40 million.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.