KINGSTON, Jamaica – Hundreds of jobseekers from across the island on Thursday trooped in at the HEART/NSTA Trust St Andrew Parish Office on Hope Road in St Andrew for a cruise ship recruitment fair.
The line stretched from the entity’s entrance to the Jamaica National Building Society on Constant Spring Road.
Job seekers came from as far as St James to fill some 10,000 vacancies that Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett said are available for Jamaicans.
A HEART flyer shared with OBSERVER ONLINE invited applicants for restaurant services, food and beverage, culinary arts and accounting.
However, some people were left frustrated by the long lines.
One man who came from St Ann’s Bay said, “It nuh mek sense cause everybody a fight fi get in, there’s no order. Better mi gwaan struggle inna mi likkle work a day time.”
A woman who gave her name only as “Miss Brown” said she had travelled from Ocho Rios with her brother to seek a better job opportunity but they were daunted by the crowd.
“We work in the hotel industry, so we have a lot of experience and then to hear about an opportunity to go overseas, we thought it would be good. But we didn’t expect something like this. It just shows the amount of Jamaicans that want to elevate themselves,” she said.
Her brother, Lewis added, “We out here from after 7:00 am. A big joke thing. All now we nuh get nowhere.”
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.