THE Ministry of Health & Wellness Friday urged Jamaicans to take the following precautions if affected by the weather system:
• Do not store food items next to chemicals such as kerosene, bleach, detergents and insect sprays.
• Do not purchase/use food from tins which have signs of dents, bulges or other damage.
• Keep food items in a dry and cool place.
• Store packages of sugar, flour, rice and crackers in their original package or in tightly closed containers.
• Keep a bag of emergency food in the event you have to evacuate your home. This should include only canned and dry food items.
• Store water in a clean, covered container. The lid of the container should fit tightly to prevent mosquito breeding.
• Do not use containers which have previously stored harmful chemicals.
• Use a clean container with a handle so as to scoop water out from where it is stored.