ST JOHN'S, Antigua (CMC) — Queen's Park Oval (QPO) and the Brian Lara Stadium (BLS) in Trinidad, along with the Guyana National Stadium (GNS), have been announced as the venues for the final three rounds of the West Indies Championship.
The three venues will host matches from March 15 to April 1, following on from the opening two rounds of the regional first-class tournament, which were staged in Antigua and Grenada last month.
"The first two rounds of matches last month offered great excitement and we are delighted to see the resumption of the West Indies Championship," said Roland Holder, Cricket West Indies' manager of cricket operations.
"Based on what we saw in the first phase of matches we can expect more keen competition among the six teams as they vie for the prestigious Headley/Weekes Trophy.
"There is a lot to play for, as players also have the opportunity to compete for places in the Headley-Weekes Series which will follow at the end of the West Indies Championship and prepare to compete for spots on the international stage."
Leaders Guyana Harpy Eagles will be away to Trinidad and Tobago Red Force at BLS in their third-round encounter, with titleholders Barbados Pride clashing with Leeward Islands Hurricanes at QPO.
Jamaica Scorpions and Windward Islands Volcanoes travel to Georgetown to do battle in the other encounter.
Harpy Eagles, bidding for their first title since 2019, will wrap up their campaign at home, however, with fixtures against Scorpions and Hurricanes, respectively.
The Leon Johnson-led unit top the standings after two rounds with 28.6 points, with Pride second on 23, and winless Red Force third on 20.6, following two drawn encounters.
Volcanoes are fourth on 19.4, while Hurricanes have 17.4 and Scorpions 10 points.
The new Headley-Weekes Series will involve three teams – Team Headley and Team Weekes and a Select Championship XI – and will see a three-match series being played at the end of the West Indies Championship from April 19 to May 6.
ROUND 3: (March 15-18)
Jamaica Scorpions v Windward Islands Volcanoes at GNS
Trinidad & Tobago Red Force v Guyana Harpy Eagles at BLS
Leeward Islands Hurricanes v Barbados Pride at QPO
ROUND 4: (March 22-25)
Guyana Harpy Eagles v Jamaica Scorpions at GNS
Trinidad & Tobago Red Force v Barbados Pride at QPO
Leeward Islands Hurricanes v Windward Islands Volcanoes at BLS
ROUND 5: (March 29 – April 1)
Guyana Harpy Eagles vs Leeward Islands Hurricanes at GNS
Trinidad & Tobago Red Force vs Jamaica Scorpions at BLS
Barbados Pride vs Windward Islands Volcanoes at QPO
Headley Weekes Tri-Series
(Coolidge Cricket Ground, Antigua)
Match 1: Team Headley v West Indies Academy – April 19-22
Match 2: Team Weekes v West Indies Academy – April 26-29
Match 3: Team Weekes vs Team Headley – May 3-6
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: email@example.com.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.