MONTEGO BAY, St James — Promoted Faulkland FC ended the first round of the Jamaica Premier League on a high, getting their first win of the season after beating fellow promoted team Chapleton Maroons 1-0 at Jamaica College's Ashenheim Stadium, earlier this week.
In the final game of the first round, Neil Clarke's first goal of the season gave them their first win at the Premier League level and took them off the foot of the points tables for the first time in many weeks.
The win also extended the St James club's perfect win record over Chapleton Maroons to four, after beating them three times in the Jamaica Football Federation Tier II League last season, including the final.
Chapleton had the better of the scoring chances in the game that lived up to expectations, a duel between the teams occupying the last two places in the points tables, but failed to make them count.
Clarke took full advantage of a mistake by a Chapleton defender in the 77 th minute, taking the ball away, before dribbling into the box and beat goalkeeper Mikhail Harrison.
Meanwhile, Montego Bay United ended a two-game losing skid on Sunday after drawing 0-0 with Cavalier FC at the same venue, but rued a penalty miss in the first half when Leonardo Fogarthy's spot kick was saved.
- We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper; email addresses will not be published.
- Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
- We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
- Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
- Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: email@example.com.