News

ZikV confirmed in three pregnant Barbadian women

Monday, February 08, 2016 | 4:18 PM    

Print this page Email A Friend!


BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) – Barbados health authorities Monday confirmed that the mosquito-borne Zika virus had been detected in three pregnant women, bringing the number of people affected by the disease to seven.

The Minister of Health in a statement said that the confirmation of the virus had come from the Trinidad-based Caribbean Regional Public Health Agency (CARPHA) as it appealed to people here to ensure that they did not provide an environment for the Aedes aegypti mosquito to survive.

The ministry said that the three women have been notified of the results and have been counselled. “Specialised obstetrics care will also be provided to monitor the progress of their pregnancies,” the statement noted, advising the public that pregnant women were at risk of getting the Zika virus at any trimester in their pregnancy.

However, it explained that the overall link between the Zika virus, babies with small heads and neurological abnormalities, was still under investigation, and therefore, the relationship between the virus and microcephaly had not been established.


“The situation is still evolving and information is being updated regularly. The Ministry of Health will continue to roll out its response based on the local, regional and international experience,” the statement said.

It said as a proactive response, health officials have developed and disseminated guidelines to guide general practitioners, obstetricians and other health care providers in the clinical management of women who have the Zika virus during pregnancy.

According to the statement, the guidelines were developed with the full cooperation and input from the Obstetrics and Paediatrics Departments at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Do you support the Gov’t giving US$200,000 towards staging the Racers Grand Prix 2017? 
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT