Taxi association boss calls strike notice ‘premature’
ST JAMES, Jamaica — President of the St James Taxi Association, Dion Chance, has knocked down news about a taxi strike proposed for Monday morning.
“That’s kind of premature, that thing is being spread by somebody from down St Elizabeth, a bit premature if you ask me,” he told Observer Online.
On Sunday, there was a notice on social media from the Jamaica Constabulary Force warning its members of the potential fallout associated with a taxi strike. The strike, it is said, is being done because of the need of a fare increase.
However, that has not materialised in St James with public transportation operating business as usual in the parish.
“Our members understand that if there is anything like that, they would have gotten prior notice. l, we don’t just get up and do things overnight and if you’re going to strike, you have to plan it and make sure it’s effective,” he said.
“You would have had to exhaust all mediums of communication and when you not reaching anywhere then [strike], but I know the meeting is being held 10:00 am,” he said about the current situation.
He said all the presidents islandwide will be meeting on Thursday.
“Based on the outcome of this meeting, if we need to meet again—because we met last week— it will Thursday of this week, at which a plan of action and course of action will be discussed,” he said.