The Dutch flagged hantavirus-stricken cruise ship MV Hondius is refueled by a tanker in the port of Granadilla de Abona on the island of Tenerife in Spain's Canary Islands on May 11, 2026. (Photo by JORGE GUERRERO / AFP)
May 22, 2026
WHO says ‘additional case’ of hantavirus reported in Netherlands
GENEVA, Switzerland (AFP) — A member of the MV Hondius cruise ship crew who disembarked in Tenerife and was repatriated to the Netherlands was confirmed Friday as a new hantavirus case, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.
“Today, the Netherlands confirmed an additional case among a crew member who disembarked in Tenerife, was repatriated to the Netherlands and has been isolating since then,” World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Friday, adding that there were now 12 suspected and confirmed cases in total, including three deaths.
The crew member has since been taken to hospital, Dutch authorities said.
The Andes virus is the version of hantavirus that can jump from human-to-human.